Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Museum of Yo-Yo History


I suppose that of the few people who frequent this blog, I'm the only one old enough to remember when yo-yo's were an everyday fun toy. For a year or so, I remember bringing one to school nearly every day where I would match my yo-yo prowess against the "other fellers." I do believe that I had an almost exact replica of the Duncan yo-yo shown here (complete with jewels). Anyway, it's a fun site to browse.
http://www.theyoyomuseum.com/

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

unca, i *do* remember yo-yo's but not as a "fun" toy because i'm very lame and uncoordinated and i could *not* make them work! (also, i'm not really old enough to remember them either...)

recently, yo-yo's were part of the attendee "gift" when i was at a conference and guess what? i still can't "yo-yo". i think i'll need lessons -- or maybe i should just give up at this late stage (again, not because i'm old or anything like that...)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Blogball said...

That’s a pretty cool web site unca. I didn’t realize yoyos went that far back in history. I bet if you ask the average kid today if they can walk the dog or rock the cradle they probably wouldn’t know what the heck you’re talking about. I do remember when yoyos were still kind of popular. My brother taught me a few tricks. Then the Frisbee came along.

10:27 PM  
Blogger unca said...

Yes, the frisbee did kind of supplant the yoyo. I think the hula hoop came along about the same time but I might be wrong. I still have a yoyo that I show off with when little kids come to the house. They're usually impressed but have other things to do rather than learn it themselves. I think it takes some peer pressure to get something like that rolling.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home