Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Why I would rather scrape gum off the bottoms of chairs than be a manager

Several years ago I had the responsibility of managing several librarians and one computer support person. Bob, one of the veteran librarians and a kind of self proclaimed computer maven resented Gary, the new and younger computer guy who obviously knew much more. Unlike Bob, Gary also liked to cut to the chase and just get things done without talking and thinking things to death. So he made himself useful around the place by fixing gliches and tweaking software--sometimes helping out and meeting with the folks in Bob's department without going through Bob (Bob had a point here). Gary also had a playful sense of humor and in an idle minute or two had decorated the small photo of the staff that he kept in his office by giving some extra "features" to each face. As I recall there was an arrow through my head, fangs on the boss, and something goulish on his own mug. Bob had horns. I didn't give this much thought until Bob showed up in my office with a grim look on his face. The conversation went something like this:

"I'd like to talk to you about Gary"
"OK. So what's the problem?"
"Did you see the staff photo in his office?"
"Yeah, I guess so."
"Did you see what he drew on my head?"
"I don't remember."
"Well, he's drew horns on me. I've got horns coming out of my head."
"Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh. "He put something on everybody. I think he put an arrow through my head."
"Well, on me, he put horns. He thinks I'm like the devil."
"I'm not sure I'd draw that conclusion."
"Yes, he does. That's why he picked horns for me. Why else would he do it?"
"Maybe he just chose the decorations at random."
"No, I'm sure that's not the case. He sees me pretty much as the enemy."
"Well, would you like me to say something to him?"
"Well that's up to you, but I don't see this situation getting any better."
"So you think there's a real problem here?"
"Well, yeah, don't you? I mean, look what he's done."
"OK, let me think about it."

A day later, I talk to Gary and tell him that Bob doesn't like his horns. Gary says he didn't mean to offend anybody; I say, I know that; Gary says he'll take the picture down and does so. End of story--I thought it had a point when I began but it obviously does not. Since I typed it all out, though, I'm posting it anyway.

3 Comments:

Blogger Blogball said...

Unca, right when I started to get to know Bob and Gary the story ended. I was hoping for something like:

Well it turned out that Bob and Gary were secret lovers. Gary used to refer to Bob in private as “You little Devil”. Gary and Bob had a little spat and that’s why Gary placed the horns on Bob. Bob was afraid that everybody including his wife would find out about his relationship So Bob complained to me to make it sound like he was offended about the horns meaning he was evil and to distract from the “You Little Devil” reference.
Bob and Gary later ended their relationship. Soon after that Bob divorced his wife and came out of the closet. Bob still acts like a self-proclaimed computer maven but now dresses with a litle more flair. Gary moved to Miniappolis where he now lives with his wife and two children and works as an interior designer.

The End

2:16 PM  
Blogger unca said...

Well, I have to admit that you've certainly spiced up this little incident. I forget how exciting the real world can be since I work in a library. It's also true that the percentage of librarians who are gay is very high so your version is not very far fetched. I do feel somewhat sorry for Gary's wife, though. Does she not know?

6:46 PM  
Blogger Blogball said...

Gary’s wife knew about his past when she married him. Through therapy Gary has embraced the strait life style and is very happy. He went off the wagon only once a couple of years ago at an Interior Designers Convention in Las Vegas.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home