Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Friday, April 15, 2005

Hey, That's Just Not My Bag, OK?

Something has to be done about this business of people walking around with dog poop in little plastic bags. Maybe this happens in your neighborhood too -- some otherwise normal person follows his or her dog around, waits for it to poop -- and then cleans up the poop, putting it a little bag that wobbles and sways around like some kind of lucky charm all the way home. Think about it: Adults---Carrying dog poop around---In little bags. Would your dog do this for you? How did we let things get this far gone? I was going to suggest that dog poop carriers keep some kind of larger bag such as a purse or satchel in which to place the little bag out of sight. I realize, though, that much of this activity has to do with making a cultural statement: “I am taking my dog out for a walk and even though my dog poops all over the neighborhood I pick it up as a good neighbor should. You can tell this by looking at this little bag of poop that I dangle in a conspicuous manner.” The other thing is -- I think the dogs themselves are embarrassed by all of this. They can’t tell you, of course, but how are dogs to comport themselves with dignity knowing that their owners (sorry, “human companions”) are waving their (the dogs’, that is) poop around for everybody to see? So the whole thing is pathetic all around. Now I don’t like dogs very much and as you might guess I don’t like dog poop even more. But I wonder if things might be more pleasant if, rather than having to watch people carrying dog poop, I were to occasionally spot or even step in some dog poop on my own lawn, just like in the olden days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blogball said...

This is very funny and something to think about. Why don’t people that live in the farm communities follow this practice? Why, because poop is an excepted fact of life to them that’s why. Unca is right. I saw a guy the other day that was carrying mans best friend’s number two in a see through baggy. Now there’s an attractive site that will surely increase the value of the neighborhood.
Some of my best memories as a kid were: stepping in it, almost stepping in it, pretending to step in it to fool your friends, seeing your best friend step in it and seeing someone you are not too fond of step in it. Pretty soon there won’t be anything to step in except the expected. What’s the fun in that? I even remember running football patterns and using dog poop as part of the strategy. The quarterback would say something like “OK go out fake to the right and then cut to the left and I’ll hit you right by that big pile of dog crap.
Yep those were the days.
What’s next, people running underneath birds with little bags just in case they poop on the neighborhood grass or cars?

Thanks for the post Unca.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

All our neighbours have dogs the size of small elephants, so when they (the dogs, not the neighbours) do their business in my yard (approximately once every hour), I have to hire a backhoe to come remove the stuff.
I'd be happy to see them walking around with a baggy full of poop. Except that it would be a jumbo-sized leaf bag, and they'd have to drag it like a Santa. A confused Santa, that is. Like when Santa gets too old to remember that it's toys he's supposed to be delivering, not poop. I think I'm rambling now...

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home