Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Crouching Librarian, Hidden Meaning?

I suppose I’m treading on cultural toes here but I don’t understand martial arts movies; at least I don’t THINK I understand martial arts movies. I’ve never been able to watch one through to the end. The movies I’ve started to watch seem to consist of unlikely “action” sequences of people posing, grunting, and fighting with each combatant taking his or her turn at whacking and getting whacked. Often there are several fighters ganging up on one guy who by whirling around and performing various other gyrations manages to dispatch all of his attackers who never really seem to go at him all at once but kind of wait their turn as it were (maybe this is martial arts etiquette, I don’t know). In the more recent films, there are even scenes of people flying (yes flying) in and out of trees and jumping several stories high, possessed, I guess, of some special kind of force or power. The first time I saw this I started laughing thinking it was a spoof but such was not the case. I’ve seen more realistic fighting in old Gene Autry movies. Anyway, it seems to me that this kind of thing might appeal to boys from perhaps 11 through 15 and at best is harmless fun. Now I find that many grown-up people take these films pretty seriously as being great cinematic works of art on the same level with, say, “Lawrence of Arabia” or “On the Waterfront.” Now I understand that many of these fighting flicks have great “production value” and have been scored by wonderful composers. The actors must also have grace and skill to do some of these things (albeit aided by special effects). But that’s not enough to get me past the fact that each of the films is essentially people beating each other up with fists, swords, and bamboo sticks in an unconvincing and often commical manner. What am I missing here?

6 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Whatever you're missing, I'm missing it, too.

I like Jackie Chan movies, because most of the stunts are really him doing that stuff (there are a few exceptions). It's not necessarily realistic, but the athleticism is amazing, and he seldom does wire tricks, etc. Also, it's usually meant to be funny.

As for the rest of them, I find them stupid. If we're going to be magic and fly around in the sky, why not make fireworks come out of the guy's ears? How about having him wave his hands and make a 4-course dinner in the air? Or turn into a really cool dragon/lion animal with big teeth and long-but-stylishly-arranged hair? Maybe you could have him take off in a jet-pod-rocket-ship to Mars where he starts a colony populated by him and numerous buxom and scantily-clad women?

I actually have the same problem with movies like Once Upon A Time In Mexico (which I watched 10 minutes of). When tons of lead is being sprayed around, I expect to see some dead bodies. If you're going to violate the laws of physics, you better have a good reason, is my feeling.

Here's another movie I saw and hated: Broken Arrow. Since I was in my hotel room and bored, I watched the whole thing, but boy was it stupid. Newton was rolling over in his grave.

Okay, enough about that. We agree, most martial arts movies are really dumb.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Blogball said...

Yea, I didn’t get it when the first wave of martial arts movies came out around 30 years ago with Bruce Lee (Dubbed in English) and I don’t get it now.
I remember one time I was switching channels and there was a scene in one of these movies where a guy put his fist through another guys chest and pulled out his heart.
When the guy realized that it was his heart in the guy’s hand he gave this surprised look and dropped over dead. “Cool”

1:56 PM  
Blogger unca said...

I agree about the Jackie Chan movies. They're intended as tongue-in-cheek and that's what comes across.

1:57 PM  
Blogger unca said...

To blogball -- yes, now there's a scene that really is heart-wrenching!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Blogball said...

Wasn’t there a famous clothes designer that asked The Library of Congress for some assistance to research women’s dresses throughout the ages.

I think they called that Crouching Librarian Looking Up Skirts.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

I feel so happy and vindicated, reading here how other people think that martial arts movies are dumb. I basically hate "action" movies anyway, but martial arts movies are a special breed. I can't stand to sit through them either. I think I first saw the fake-jumpy effect in The Matrix. But I too thought it was so ridiculous in Crouching Special Effect, Hidden Coolness that I looked around the room to see who else was rolling their eyes. Only me. Sigh. Oh well. I also hate: Car chases. Helicopter-hanging-from scenes. Gunfights. Swordfights. Fights at all. (Except for a boxing movie, when fighting is the POINT.) Especially dumb fights at the end when he's of course not really dead yet.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home