Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Things I can’t understand anyone being interested in but I’m not judging in any way those who are:

NASCAR
Golf (playing or watching)
Line Dancing
Monster Truck Rallies
American Idol
Attending a Boat Show
Watching the New Year’s Ball Drop in Times Square
Attending the Rose Bowl Parade
Circuses
Learning to Play New Age Piano Music
Soccer (I’ve tried, believe me)
Dog Shows
Growing My Own Herbs
Massage Therapy
Mime
Rap
Organic Gardening
Pottery Making
Going to Six Flags Over Anywhere
Astrology
Day Trading
Making my own Wine
Financial Planning
Any event that has the word, “workshop” in it
Attending a rally for anything
Karate
Jazzercise
Owning or Driving a Recreational Vehicle

4 Comments:

Blogger Blogball said...

Great List Unca.
I agree with most of these (we must be related)
Here are some of mine

Professional Wrestling
Soap Operas
High Speed Boat Racing
Meditation Classes
Multi Level Marketing
Orgies (Believe me I’ve tried) Just Kidding
Clothes Shopping
Jewelry Shopping
Fishing
Reality Shows
Supping up your car
Lawnmower Shopping
Dressing up in women’s clothes on a weekday (Kidding again I think)

5:07 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

i think this is where we should all write angry spittle-flecked letters to unca, fuming about how we can't believe he's such an ignorant philistine that he doesn't like [insert favorite thing here]...

2:18 PM  
Blogger unca said...

Mamacita- Yes, especially to the bird watching, dewey spider webs, and most of all, reading the dictionary for pleasure. I can't explain why I find the latter so fascinating but I can spend lots of time doing it. I love dictionaries. In the rare book room where I work, we have a first edition of Samuel Johnson's dictionary (1755). We also have access to an online version of the Oxford English Dictionary which is great to browse through. I remember someone saying that the one book essential for a desert island would be a dictionary because the words of all of the other books would be included there.

6:40 AM  
Blogger unca said...

I think you're right, Mamacita. I was probably thinking of Melville himself. What makes it even more interesting is that he was an ardent advocate for simplified spelling and spelled his own name, "melvil dui" (really).

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home