Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Friday, December 02, 2005

The College Dream

I have my own theory about dreams: they don’t really mean anything important – they’re just random firings of neurons and synapses that don’t quite work while you’re asleep. Still, I’m intrigued by what I’m calling the “college dream.” The basic, recurring plot is that you’re back in school (high school or college) and at the end of the semester you suddenly realize that you’ve never attended one of the classes you’ve registered for. When you do try to go, you often can’t find the room, the building, or anybody to tell you what’s going on. There are endless variations, of course. When I first described this dream to my dad (who was about 75 at the time) he said, “You know, I still have that dream.” Well, I’m not yet 75 but I expect to have the dream till I die. My own informal surveys have convinced me that you either have the dream on a recurring basis or you’ve never had it at all. What I find particularly interesting is how specific the dream is. There are lots of traumatic and life-changing things that happen to people in college. Why this particular dream with this level of detail?

2 Comments:

Blogger Blogball said...

Mine are similar:
It is rumored that I don’t have enough credits to graduate high school.
Another dream has me in the hallway and not remembering what class to go to or where my locker is.
I do give dreams a little more credit than random firings of neurons. I believe there is some subconscious thoughts going on that might tell us something or another about us.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

I think dreams are the CIA beaming stuff info my brain. How else do we explain them? And what about the voices?

Anyway, I don't ever remember having The College Dream, but know a lot of people who have. I guess that dream is only for people who actually CARED how they did in school, as opposed to slackers like me who would've just said, "Huh, misses a class, eh? Well, rats. What time is soccer on, anyway?"

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home