Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Me and My New Toy

Just when I thought I was too old to get excited about the new generation of toys, I bought myself a handheld GPS. My model is a Garmin eTrex Vista C and does this baby hum! Well, hum may not be the right word, but it sure is fun. Depending on your generation, it is, in turn, swell, nifty, cool, neat, bitchin’, awesome, and sweet. I bought it in Colorado Springs during a family visit and found that it worked even while was on Amtrak going home. I turned it on in the middle of the night after looking out the window where a blizzard was in progress. My little buddy displayed a color map of central Nebraska and told me precisely where we were, how high we were, how fast we were moving and in what direction we were headed. Now if you’re saying to yourself, “So big deal, how did it help you?” – well, I can only feel sorry that you’re unable to appreciate the sheer “coolness” of a toy like this which can delight, amuse, and gratify without accomplishing anything of value, whatsoever. But, back to my story. When you first turn it on, it “looks” for GPS satellites and locks onto them (the power of each signal is displayed in a series of colorful bars). Then you can click through a series of functions that allow you to view a map, a compass, check routes, speed, altitude, distance from destination, distance traveled, and even retrace your steps (literally). You can even go “geocaching” with it. Geocaching is a relatively recent (also totally useless) hobby that involves someone hiding a box of valueless objects and posting the coordinates on a web site. You then use your GPS to find it, sign a log book, put something in the box, and then post your adventure on the web site. I may wait until Spring to try out that activity. In the meantime, My Garmin eTrex Vista C will be my constant companion – I’ve finally found myself.

5 Comments:

Blogger Blogball said...

Sounds cool to me. I love fun useless things too.
This could be my next toy after I get a better digital camera.
Unca, quick question: Is there a monthly fee for using this?

5:38 PM  
Blogger unca said...

There's no monthly fee for this. The govt. foots the bill for the satallites. I believe they made them free a few of years ago. I think there are some services that require a monthly fee if you use the thing for roadside service or something but the basic GPS is free.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

I completely support the pointless use of technology; I applaud your GPS-ing. And it's good you've now got something to keep you from going back out on the streets selling crack.

Oh, and PS: after "...awesome, sweet" comes def, dope, sick, clean, tight, and then I lose track again...

11:25 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

oh, and I think "fresh" was in there, too...

11:26 PM  
Blogger unca said...

def, dope, sick, clean, tight, fresh?

I thought I was up to date with sweet!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home