Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Friday, November 16, 2007

Generation Gap or Something Else?

I think it’s interesting to compare song lyrics from different eras. First is “All the Things You Are” written in 1939 and the second one is a modern rap/rock song I found online. Both have to do with love (honestly now, which of these romantic tributes would you like your sweetheart to sing to you?)

You are the promised kiss of springtime
That makes the lonely winter seem long
You are the breathless hush of evening
That trembles on the brink of a lovely song

You are the angel-glow that lights a star
The dearest things I know are what you are

Some day my happy arms will hold you
And some day I'll know that moment divine
When all the things you are, are mine


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Got the key to your heart that's all
This kind of love makes me lose control
Got the key to your heart that's all
This kind of love makes me lose control
.... beauty...... no life
Wouldn't have a guide and wouldn't have a wife
Come..... all tonight
Got the key to your heart that's all
This kind of love makes me lose control
Got the key to your heart that's all
This kind of love makes me lose control

6 Comments:

Blogger Happy Birthday! said...

Hmmm...that's interesting. I think I might find the first one a little sappy (honestly). It's pretty and stuff, but I think I'd rather have the second one if someone were actually going to sing to me (song lyrics can look pretty repetitive written down but sound good when sung with the right music and voice). However, I have to admit to confusion about the "wouldn't have a guide and wouldn't have a wife" part. If he is saying that without HER, he wouldn't have those things, then, sounds good to me. But then if he's saying he DOESN'T want those things at all, then forget him! What could be better than a guide and a wife? ;)

12:34 AM  
Blogger unca said...

I get your point but the same could be said about sappy songs -- they don't sound as sappy when they're sung. Ahh, if you could only hear it. Wait, you can! Here's clip. Of course you may find it even sappier with the music than without!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=y5N_3f79rI0

10:17 AM  
Blogger Blogball said...

I realize that delivery and charisma when performing songs is very important but what frustrates me is the lack of imagination in the lyrics of many rap songs. A love song should be more than just the performance and the performer. The lyrics of love songs written long ago would look like poetry if you were to just read the words without the music.
Just for fun I cut and pasted each songs repeated lines together.

Song #1 (No repeats)
You are the promised kiss of springtime
That makes the lonely winter seem long
You are the breathless hush of evening
That trembles on the brink of a lovely song
You are the angel-glow that lights a star
The dearest things I know are what you are
Some day my happy arms will hold you
And some day I'll know that moment divine
When all the things you are, are mine

Song # 2 (Two lines repeated 4 times each out of 11 lines total )
Got the key to your heart that's all
Got the key to your heart that's all
Got the key to your heart that's all
Got the key to your heart that's all
This kind of love makes me lose control
This kind of love makes me lose control
This kind of love makes me lose control
This kind of love makes me lose control
.... beauty...... no life
Wouldn't have a guide and wouldn't have a wife
Come..... all tonight

9:46 AM  
Blogger unca said...

Yes, Blogball--it really becomes evident when you line them up this way that we're really not talking about words at all with a lot of modern songs--only a few phrases that sound as if they're being made up as the singer goes along. Maybe that's the idea. Doesn't do much for me though.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Preben and Ellen said...

i like the first :)

4:09 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

i have to concede the "superiority" of the first set of lyrics if we're talking about nuance of expression, use of vocabulary, gentleness of tone, etc. Also it *is* a little sappy.
Definitely will resonate with someone who values dextrous use of language, and prefers more mellow melodies and modes of communication.
However, i think it's fair to take context (ie, audience) into account whenever attempting the dubious task of assigning value to art. If it resonates, if it speaks to a particular person or audience, then it's good art. IMHO.

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home