Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Nerds are me

“O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!” (Robert Burns)

Have you ever given a talk or presentation and thought later that you did a pretty good job and then had a chance to see what it actually looked and sounded like because somebody videotaped it? It’s not fun (at least for me) – as I watched the tape, the words, “doofus” and “dork” seem to be almost written across my face. Please tell me I’m not the only one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Blogball said...

You have to remember they are already over the initial nerdy, dorky, doofus shock when they fist see you so after you have delivered a good presentation you are fine. So after words you will overhear people saying stuff like:

•“Hey he was pretty good for a nerdy looking guy”
•“I really didn’t know what to expect when I first saw that guy but after awhile it really didn’t matter"
•“I knew I was right when I said you should never judge a book by its cover”
•That was a great presentation! (said the blind man)

2:42 PM  
Blogger unca said...

Blogball -- Thanks (I guess)

9:05 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

you're not the only one -- i also thought "doofus" when i saw the tape of your presentation...
;-)

seriously, tho, i never look as good as i thot i was going to, either...

11:17 PM  
Blogger Dan Agonistes said...

I have a harder time listening to myself than watching. If I turn the sound off it looks like I'm doing a good job but when the sound comes up I feel sorry for the poor listeners. Why do I talk so fast? Do I really have all those verbal ticks etc. etc.?

11:47 AM  
Blogger si said...

you're not the only one! and like dan said, i don't care for the sound of my voice even more (as hard as that may be to believe) :).

and with relatives like blogball and bryan, well, you know...

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home