Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

61 years old (pretty old for a blogger) proud to be a grandpa

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I Fell Off a Ladder Today

This afternoon I feel off a ladder. I had propped up an estension ladder against the limb of a tree so that I could saw another limb off that was hanging over our driveway. My ladder was just barely long enough to reach the branch it was resting on and it seemed pretty sturdy. The sawing went great and the only thing still holding the limb on was a little bit of bark which I then commenced sawing through to finish the job. Well, the limb that I was getting rid of was attached to the same much larger limb that my ladder branch was also attached to. The upshot (or downshot) was that when the sawed-off limb finally gave way, the big limb was lightened considerably which made it rise (bringing with it the branch my ladder was resting on). All of a sudden the ladder and I were falling to the driveway together. My only thought on the way down was, "Wow, I'll bet this is going to hurt." I was right. It could have been much worse. I landed feet first on now grounded horizonal ladder with my butt following pretty hard on another rung. My back and pelvis hurt pretty bad so I'm taking some Alieve at the suggestion of my daughter the nurse, hoping that I didn't injur something long term. It occurs to me how much easier this episode would have been if I had been, say 19 instead of 59. Other than that and this obvious plea for sympathy, this post has no point.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You poor thing! I like that you told how you thought about what was going to happen, I'm just glad you didn't see your life flash before your eyes, only that you thought it would hurt... I think you should listen to your nurse daughter... Love, from another nurse. E

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sympathy* being sent to you! wow, this could have been so much worse! i hope you're doing well (or as well as can be expected).

11:24 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

Lucky lucky!! Glad you didn't get seriously hurt (assuming that nothing new develops!)

5:42 PM  
Blogger Blogball said...

F & B Stump & Tree Service

Cutting limbs and taking down trees can be a delicate task. While a local handyman or an intrepid homeowner might do well with basic trimming, most tree services and maintenance require a tree services contractor with specific insurance and experience.

Expertise:
• Tree Stump Removal
• Shrub and Tree Trimming
• Storm Damage Debris Clearing

Contact: Roland Floyd
256 27th Avenue Lot 5
Amana, IA 52203
Servicing the tri-county area

12:47 PM  
Blogger unca said...

Gee, thanks, Blogball. That really makes my back feel better. Where were you with this note on Sunday?

2:56 PM  
Blogger unca said...

Thanks, Mamacita. Robert Burns couldn't have said it better. I'm still trying to find the best pain reliever. So far, not much helps except for the heating pad. Thanks for the post.

6:21 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

here's hoping that you're on the mend, good as new, hale and hearty, up and at 'em.
A word to the wise (and un-wise): avoid all ladders.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

dang. sorry to hear it. much sympathy sent to you.

(as i see it, the silver lining in all this is that it happened to you, and not to me...) ;-)

12:30 PM  
Blogger prodigious said...

It may be of interest to you in the future to know there is a product out there that is much safer to use than a ladder its Known as a "steady Yeddy" its a elevated torso support that functions like a ladder you can see them at www.theyacshack.com

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home